The Who, What, When, Where & How of LearnUp
WHO: LearnUp can help anyone to read.
- Any age. Our students range in age from kindergartners to adults.
- Any skill level. From non-readers to breakthrough readers—with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia.
Our students come from schools across the Bay Area—public, private, and parochial.
We also partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to train their teachers to help more students learn to read.
WHAT: One-on-one tutoring
- Each tutoring lesson is 55 minutes.
- Students attend sessions 5 days a week.
WHEN: Mostly after-school…but there are always exceptions
- We operate year-round and have ongoing enrollment.
- During the school year, we tutor from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- During summer we tutor from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
WHERE: Upstairs at La Boulangerie bakery in San Francisco
- LearnUp has a unique co-location model where companies and universities house our nonprofit, eliminating our largest expense—rent—and reducing the stigma of learning centers.
- La Boulangerie is located at 2325 Pine Pine Street between Fillmore and Steiner.
HOW (LONG): It’s what every parent wants to know
Few reading clinics will tell you how long it will take to get your child reading. We do.
- During our free reading assessment, we will determine your child’s entry point—which we call reading start.
- We don’t believe every student should start at the same level if their skills vary. This makes the program far more efficient.
- Once we understand where they are on the reading spectrum, we can approximate the number of sessions needed to meet reading goals and create measurable milestones to achieve them.
- As your child moves through the program, we will meet with you to discuss your child’s reading progress and explore any setbacks or challenges they may face.