LearnUp teaches struggling readers, with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia, to read at grade level and beyond. More effectively and efficiently—in about half the time—than most other major reading programs.
LearnUp works because:
- It’s an integrated reading program. We incorporate the best methodologies from the foremost reading programs in the world, blending them together with the latest brain research on how the dyslexic brain functions.
- We don’t start over. We offer multiple entry points to accommodate a student’s knowledge and background. We work with them from what they already know and understand. This approach quickly puts them into the right level and on a pathway to reading success.
- We lead with books. We teach with proprietary age- and skill-level appropriate books that were written to correspond to the reading level of the program and to keep readers of all ages interested and engaged.
In just 3 months, the average LearnUp student gains a year in key indicators of reading outcomes, increases her reading fluency by 44 words per minute, and jumps 2-grade levels in reading. Learn more about our outcomes.
Our Tutoring Programs:
Learn to Read
The LearnUp Reading program consists of three parts.
- Learning to read. From phonics to word attack. From diphthongs to use of the silent e to reading complex stories . And everything in between.
- Spelling. We have incorporated a spelling program that corresponds to the learning in our reading curriculum.
- Writing. Every session has a writing component so that students can learn how to understand, infer and demonstrate their comprehension of their reading.
Reading Comprehension and Fluency
LearnUp now offers a separate comprehension and fluency program for students who can read, but are struggling with retaining and expressing their knowledge. Students learn how to break down text, control for understanding, and show their comprehension to their parents and teachers.
Who can benefit:
Anyone, at any age, who is learning and/or struggling to read—with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia.
Should your child have a FREE reading assessment? Here is a partial list of children who should have a reading assessment: Any struggling reader. Students who are smart, but low-performing. Kids who hate to read. Students who perform poorly on reading tests, but show aptitude and smarts. Children who would prefer to distract, disturb or cut-out, rather than read. Kids who are having comprehension issues. Kids who can’t spell worth a bean.
For the 20% of our population living with some form of dyslexia, who will struggle mightily to learn how to read without a dedicated and effective reading program (phonics and a reading rich culture are not enough!), LearnUp provides a clear and effective program. These emerging readers need a reading program designed to help their neurologically diverse brains learn how to read.
Many programs can teach kids with dyslexia to read. LearnUp is more effective and efficient—using one-on-one tutoring to teach struggling readers to read in about half the time as most other major reading programs. LearnUp integrates the best practices of the leading reading programs on the market (Orton, Linda Mood-Bell, Slingerland, Reading Recovery, Whole Language, etc.) and combines them with the latest brain research and National Reading Panel recommendations to create a superior, systematic program that accelerates reading acquisition.
Not only will is our program effective for the most severe forms of dyslexia (which occurs in about 1.5% of the population), it is also a superior approach to teaching any emerging reader (with or without dyslexia) how to read.
“I like it because it makes me happy. I can read bigger words. And can read by myself.” — LearnUp Student
“LearnUp is a miracle! Not only has our child learned to read when all other efforts were just that, EFFORT. Our child now ENJOYS reading… can’t put the book down on the way to school… asks to read to us and looks forward to going to tutoring even after a full day of school! Truly, nothing short of a miracle….” — Dawn Gross, MD, PhD, LearnUp Parent
One for One:
For every full paying child, LearnUp Centers teaches a deserving child to read.
As a nonprofit public charity, we also believe that income should not be a barrier to learning how to read.Thanks to generous investors like you, our nonprofit model allows us to help those without resources to have access to the program. Learn more.
How to get started:
Our after-school tutoring sessions are open and enrollment is ongoing and open to all ages. We tutor in San Francisco on the campus of the University of San Francisco.
Like our reading program, LearnUp reading assessments are fast—just 20 minutes. And they’re free. Our proprietary assessment process quickly puts the student at the correct entry point and on the path to success.
All our reading assessments are conducted with Steve Tattum, director and founder of our reading program. Take advantage of the opportunity to meet with one of the national leaders in teaching reading. Learn more about our FREE reading assessments.
To sign up for a free reading assessment, email LearnUp Executive Director, Steve Hagler: email@example.com