Hard to Read: How American schools fail kids with dyslexia


We listened to this podcast nodding our heads. We know that many of our children are living with dyslexia. We see it every day. There are laws to make sure that they get the programs they need (like LearnUp Centers), and yet, as a nation, we are not doing an adequate job connecting struggling readers to programs that work for them, much less get them to use the word ‘dyslexia’.

It would matter less if our educators don’t use the word ‘dyslexia’ if they would simply implement the programs and approaches that we know help resolve the reading issues associated with it. But that is not the case.

And it doesn’t make sense. Reading programs that are appropriate for the 20% of our population that live with dyslexia are also a really wonderful ways to teach reading to the other 80%. Much like how curb cuts benefited more than just folks in wheelchairs, strong structured literacy programs can help improve the reading of all children.

Listen to the story and let us know if this has been your experience as well.

Hard to Read: How American schools fail kids with dyslexia

There are proven ways to help people with dyslexia learn to read, and a federal law that’s supposed to ensure schools provide kids with help. But across the country, public schools are denying children proper treatment and often failing to identify them with dyslexia in the first place.

Story by Emily Hanford of American Public Media

Listen to or read the podcast here:

https://www.apmreports.org/story/2017/09/11/hard-to-read

 

 

Leave a Reply