Become a LearnUp tutor!
LearnUp Centers is accepting applications for new tutors. Teaching reading is a great part-time job for students of all majors and backgrounds. And it pays very well!
Change kids’ lives by teaching them to read, spell, and write. Working for LearnUp gives you the opportunity to learn directly from Steve Tattum, the founder of our reading program.
- Have linguistic gifts (know your alphabet sounds)
- Can mirror a teaching session
- Good with kids
The training is free for LearnUp tutors. See below to learn more details about our training program.
How to apply
Send your resume and a quick (1-2 paragraphs) cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org saying who you are and why you want to tutor for Learn Up.
We tutor every day from 3:00 to 6:00 pm (Monday through Friday) at La Boulangerie de San Francisco at Pine and Fillmore.
Reach out to Steve Hagler, LearnUp’s executive director, at email@example.com
Get trained to teach reading
The home intensive reading workshop covers all the basics of reading–from the theory of reading and comprehension and the role of the brain’s neurodiversity in reading acquisition to the nuts and bolts of teaching reading. Including:
- Apply reading theory into the practice of reading acquisition
- Teach reading to all types of emerging readers, including struggling readers, with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia and kids living with ADD/ADHD
- Teach the 44 reading sounds (including prefixes, roots and suffixes)
- Adapt the program for one-on-one tutoring, small groups, and for the larger classroom
- Assess and place students into the 5 Starts (or entry levels) of the program
- Teach students how to comprehend, interpret and present information from their reading
Ongoing Professional Development
LearnUp also provides ongoing practicums and professional development to make sure you are honing your teaching abilities Our professional development gives our tutors the opportunity to learn from one another, put theory into practice, and hone their teaching.
Learn to teach reading from a master teacher of reading
This is a rare opportunity to learn directly from Steve Tattum, founder of the LearnUp reading program. Steve literally wrote the books and curriculum and has taught over 2,500 teachers to successfully use our reading program in one-on-one, small group and classroom situations.
How to Apply
Send us your resume and a quick cover letter(really on one / two paragraphs) saying who you are and why you want to tutor for LearnUp. Send to
Send to stevehagler[at]learnupcenters.org.
We tutor in San Francisco at headquarters at 2325 Pine St. (at Fillmore).
Questions? Contact Steve Hagler at stevehagler[at]learnupcenters.org. Or call (415) 944-READ (7323).