Become a LearnUp tutor!
LearnUp Centers is hiring tutors. Learn how to teach reading to kids with dyslexia and other reading struggles. Great part-time job for college students of all majors and backgrounds. And it pays very well!
Change kids’ lives by teaching them to read, spell, write, and comprehend.
Learn the program directly from Steve Tattum, the founder of our reading program.
- Have linguistic gifts (know your alphabet sounds)
- Can mirror a teaching session
- Good with kids
The training is free for LearnUp tutors, over a $1,500 value. Learn more about the training below.
How to apply
Look at our website. Learn what is different and exciting about how we teach reading. In a cover letter make sure you respond to the following questions/prompts.
- Why do you want to come tutor for LearnUp?
- What experience do you have working with children?
- What experience do you have in teaching or tutoring?
- Are you available 5 days a week (from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm)?
Send the cover letter and your resume to: email@example.com
Contact Steve Hagler, LearnUp’s executive director, at firstname.lastname@example.org Or call (415) 944-READ (7323).
Learn how to teach reading at home!
The home intensive reading workshop covers all the basics of reading–from the theory of reading and comprehension and the role of the brain’s neurodiversity in reading acquisition to the nuts and bolts of teaching reading.
- Apply reading theory into the practice of reading acquisition
- Teach reading to all types of emerging readers, including struggling readers, with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia and kids living with ADD/ADHD
- Teach the 44 reading sounds (including prefixes, roots and suffixes)
- Adapt the program for one-on-one tutoring, small groups, and for the larger classroom
- Assess and place students into the 5 Starts (or entry levels) of the program
- Teach students how to comprehend, interpret and present information from their reading
Ongoing Professional Development
LearnUp also provides ongoing practicums and professional development to make sure you are honing your teaching abilities Our professional development gives our tutors the opportunity to learn from one another, put theory into practice, and hone their teaching.
Learn to teach reading from a master teacher of reading
This is a rare opportunity to learn directly from Steve Tattum, founder of the LearnUp reading program. Steve literally wrote the books and curriculum and has taught over 2,500 teachers to successfully use our reading program in one-on-one, small group and classroom situations.
Questions? Contact Steve Hagler at stevehagler[at]learnupcenters.org. Or call (415) 944-READ (7323).