LearnUp is opening up a reading clinic in Marin County. We want you to come work for us!
Who: Great part-time job for undergrads of all majors and backgrounds.
What: Teach struggling readers to read. We train and mentor you to teach our super effective reading program. You get to change kids’ lives by teaching them to read.
The Job: Part-time. Good paying.
- Have linguistic gifts (know your alphabet sounds)
- Can mirror a teaching session.
- Good with kids.
- Have a strong teacher/tutor profile
Learn how to teach reading to ALL children!
What will you learn?
The 5-day intensive workshop covers all the basics of reading–from the theory of reading and comprehension and the role of the brain’s neuro-diversity in reading acquisition to the nuts and bolts of teaching reading. Including:
- Apply reading theory into the practice of reading acquisition
- Teach reading to all types of emerging readers, including struggling readers, with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia and kids living with ADD/ADHD
- Teach the 44 reading sounds (including prefixes, roots and suffixes)
- Adapt the program for one-on-one tutoring, small groups, and for the larger classroom
- Assess and place students into the 5 Starts (or entry levels) of the program
- Adapt the program to English Language Learners
- Teach students how to comprehend, interpret and present information from their reading
Ongoing Professional Development: As a tutor for LearnUp you will also receive a week-long practicum in working with our students. The practicum gives you a guided opportunity to put theory into practice, hone your tutoring craft, learn more about positive and safe tutoring environment so children can thrive and succeed.
Your mentor and teacher: This is a rare opportunity to learn directly from Steve Tattum, founder of the LearnUp reading program. Steve has taught over 2,500 teachers to successfully use our reading program in one-on-one, small group and classroom situations.
How to Apply: Send us your resume and a quick (really on one or two paragraphs) cover letter saying who you are and why you want to tutor for LearnUp to stevehagler[at]learnupcenters.org.
Hours: We tutor from 3:00 to 6:00 pm. We will be expanding hours as we grow.