We are hiring! For San Francisco and Marin
Do you have a strong linguistic gift, the ability to mirror a lesson and the characteristics of an effective tutor? Come get trained and work for LearnUp. Come work for us!
Next training June 5-9 in San Francisco. Stipend provided.
LearnUp is opening up a reading clinic in Marin County.
Great part-time job for undergrads of all majors and backgrounds.
Change kids’ lives by teaching them to read. We train, you tutor.
Part-time. Good paying.
- Have linguistic gifts (know your alphabet sounds)
- Can mirror a teaching session
- Good with kids
- Have a strong teacher/tutor profile
Learn how to teach reading to ALL children!
Get trained to teach reading
The 5-day intensive workshop covers all the basics of reading–from the theory of reading and comprehension and the role of the brain’s neurodiversity in reading acquisition to the nuts and bolts of teaching reading. Including:
- Apply reading theory into the practice of reading acquisition
- Teach reading to all types of emerging readers, including struggling readers, with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia and kids living with ADD/ADHD
- Teach the 44 reading sounds (including prefixes, roots and suffixes)
- Adapt the program for one-on-one tutoring, small groups, and for the larger classroom
- Assess and place students into the 5 Starts (or entry levels) of the program
- Adapt the program to English Language Learners
- Teach students how to comprehend, interpret and present information from their reading
Ongoing Professional Development
As a tutor for LearnUp you will also receive a week-long practicum in working with our students. The practicum gives you a guided opportunity to put theory into practice, hone your tutoring craft, learn more about positive and safe tutoring environment so children can thrive and succeed.
Learn from a master teacher
This is a rare opportunity to learn directly from Steve Tattum, founder of the LearnUp reading program.Steve literally wrote the books and curriculum and has taught over 2,500 teachers to successfully use our reading program in one-on-one, small group and classroom situations.
How to Apply
Send us your resume and a quick (really on one / two paragraphs) cover letter saying who you are and why you want to tutor for LearnUp to stevehagler[at]learnupcenters.org.
We tutor in from 3:00 to 6:00 pm in San Francisco. Marin hours are still being scheduled. We will be expanding hours as we grow.
Questions? Contact Steve Hagler at
Contact Steve Hagler at stevehagler[at]learnupcenters.org.