For Parents and Educators
This two-day workshop (Saturday, September 10th and 17th) provides a crash course in early literacy (Pre-K) from theory to practice and teach you how to identify the early signs of a struggling reader, including early signs of dyslexia and will learn techniques and activities that can address the common challenges facing these emerging readers.
The workshop comes with over $500 worth of teaching materials, curriculum activities and reading books.
Presented by Steve Tattum, LearnUp Centers Reading Director. This is a rare opportunity to learn directly from the founder of the LearnUp reading program. Sign-up today!
Learn How Young Children Acquire Reading
- Discover the latest in Research on Early Childhood Literacy and reading acquisition.
- Understand how young children acquire pre-literacy skills and how toddlers learn letters and sounds.
- What you can do to ensure your child is reading ready.
- Learn the early signs of a struggling reader in the pre-literacy years.
Get Hands-on Training
- Receive hands-on training in a developmentally appropriate, multi-sensory reading program for young children.
- This reading program is built around the five key fundamentals to reading readiness recommended by the National Reading Panel (phonemic awareness, phonics development, vocabulary development, comprehension, and fluency).
- Workshop includes practical tips for engaging young children in learning through fun, multi-modality practices, spell and read games and auditory and visual mnemonics.
- Learn practical approaches to teaching your child phonemic awareness and alphabet recognition, address common early literacy issues before they become reading problems.
- Learn how to use storybooks to practice new skills and give your child immediate success in reading.
Take Home Materials
- Teacher’s manual
- Teacher’s guide
- Reading diagnostic surveys for young children
- Daily activities for a year of Kindergarten
- Magnetic Board for manipulating letters and sounds
- Large, easy to manipulate, magnetic letter set
- Word and picture set for each vowel sound
- Objects for phonemic awareness activities
- Words and pictures set
- 10 storybooks: First Steps Series, written by Steve Tattum. The storybooks correspond to each literacy concept taught in the curriculum
Steve Tattum, Workshop Leader
Steve Tattum, Reading Director and founder of the LearnUp reading program.
Steve received his undergraduate degree in education at Eastern Illinois in 1969 and his Masters Degree in Education with an emphasis in special education at George Washington University. He is the former Director of the Denver Academy.
Many programs can teach kids to read. Steve’s program integrates the best practices of the leading reading programs on the market (Orton, Linda Mood-Bell, Slingerland, Reading Recovery, Whole Language, etc.) and combines them with the latest brain research and National Reading Panel recommendations to create a superior, systematic program that accelerates reading acquisition.
Who Should Attend?
- Early childhood educators
- Learning specialists
- Reading Tutors
- Pre-K-3 teachers
- Elementary school staff and teachers
- Family advocates
September 10th & 17th
Saturday, September 10th and 17th
When: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Where: University of San Francisco, Main Campus, Malloy Hall
Sign Up Now!
Includes the workshop and all materials ($500+ value).
Sign Up now Pre-K Reading Workshop.